Property Law

Co-operative Housing Society Rules West Bengal

A cooperative housing society in West Bengal is formed under the West Bengal Co-operative Societies Act, 2006, which however came into force in 2010. Along with the West Bengal Co-operative Societies Rules, 2011, the 2006 Act regulates the formation, structuring and working of co-operative housing societies in West Bengal.

Housing Co-operative society is defined under Section 4(36) of the 2006 Act. What is important to note is that a member of the co-operative society in West Bengal or Kalyani can be single, joint or nominal member as defined under Section 4 (41) of the Act. A Co-operative housing society means a co-operative society, the object of which is to provide its members with dwelling house, apartments, or lands or construction of dwelling houses or apartments, and maintenance of common services in connection therewith, and includes a federation of such societies. Members holding a particular flat in a housing society jointly can be in the relationship of (i) husband and wife, or (ii) father and son or daughter and (iii) mother and son or daughter. Further, under Rule 2 (k) of the WBCS Rules, 2011, family also includes adult son or daughter irrespective of marital status in addition to the members defined under Explanation of Sub-Section (3) of Section 16 of WBCS Act, 2006.

Chapter VIII of the 2006 Act deals with special provisions with regard to housing Co-operative societies. One of the most common query regarding housing societies is whether a person can be a member of more than one housing co-operative society? The answer is a resounding No when it comes to West Bengal. A single member can own more than one flat but not two co-operative housing flats. As long as a person, or any member of his family does not own any plot, house or flat within the local limits of any municipal corporation or municipality or town or gram Panchayat or notified authority area where the housing Cooperative society is situated except for the one where he is applying or has applied. Then the person is under no legal disability to own more than one flat in that housing society. This implies that if the person has another flat or land or plot located at another different municipality area or town or gram Panchayats or notified authority areas then the person can still become a member of a housing cooperative housing society. This implies that a person can own a co-operative housing apartment or flat when the person’s other property is in different jurisdictions. However, ownership of 2 housing co-operative flats in West Bengal is not allowed.

Another important facet to note that has been asked by a lot of developers and promoters who wish to build a co-operative housing society in a self owned plot and whether it is allowed in law. It is absolutely allowed. Any person can construct flats in his own plot of land and later create a co-operative housing society and sell of the flats. The only impediment is Section 87 (1) (f) of the 2006 Act which states that an individual cannot be a member of the Co-operative housing society if he has entered into any contract with the housing society in the matter of any work constructional or otherwise relating to a project of the Cooperative society. This implies that the member cannot later enter into construction work for the housing society after the flats are constructed. However, he is always free to construct the flats and then sell them off to members. This is also resonated in Section 131(6) of the West Bengal Co-operative Societies Rules, 2011 which states that a person who has entered or intends to enter into any contract with a co-operative housing society in the matter of any work, constructional or otherwise, relating to a project of the society shall not be eligible to be a member. However, where a person conveying a plot of land in favour of a co-operative housing society intends to become a member of such society without any additional consideration and is otherwise eligible for such membership, he may be admitted as a member of such society.

The definition of member and family is often complicated by legal jargon. However, simply speaking, a co-operative housing society can be constructed by members of different families. For registration of a housing Co-operative society, a minimum of 8 members are required from different families as provided under Section 16 (3) of the Act.  Section 130 (2) of the West Bengal Co-operative Societies Rules, 2011 states that in a co-operative housing society the number of members shall not exceed the total number of plots, houses or apartments proposed by a society to be allotted to members under any scheme or project of such society. Further, a member shall be eligible for allotment of only one plot, house or apartment in a housing co-operative society. Under the Act, it is explained under Section 16 (3) that a family is generally deemed to consist of Husband, Wife, Minor sons and daughters, dependent widow of a predeceased son, minor sons and daughters of a dependant widow of a predeceased son, husband’s and wife’s dependent parents and dependant divorce daughter. This also includes adult son and daughter, irrespective of marital status under Rule 2(k) of WBCS Rules, 2011. Anyone, outside of this and far-off relatives are free to be members of the same housing society.

It has been held in by the Supreme Court in Gayatri De v. Mousumi Co-operative Housing Society Ltd. and Ors. [2004(2) WBLR (SC) 364] while dealing with Sub-section (3) of Section 87 of the said Act and, thereupon, observed in paragraph 26 of the report as follows:

“26. In terms of the Act and the Rules, the heirs of a deceased person are, therefore, entitled to inherit the flat allotted to the deceased as in the instant case. Admittedly, the flat in question was allotted to the father of the appellant who died thereafter and as a consequence thereof, the heirs of the said deceased became and would be entitled to the estate and as a result thereof to the said flat with proportionate interest in the land. The declaration contained in Sub-section (3) of Section 87 of the said Act is clear and unambiguous. By such declaration it has been made abundantly clear that in relation to an immovable property allotted by a Housing Co-operative Society, the legislature did not intend to change the line of succession of a member in his such allotted property. The statutory embargo is that such a property cannot be sub-divided or partitioned.

In Parul Sengupta vs Registrar of Co-op Societies [2005 (1) CHN 281], the court held that the writ petitioner, in whose favour nomination has been made, shall not be made a member of the said Society and having regard to the legislative intent contained in Sub-section (4) of Section 69 it may not be possible for us to direct the appellants to be joint members along with the writ petitioner, but to protect the interest of the appellants in the flat, which they have inherited, it is necessary for the said Society to record their interest expressly in the Share Certificate as well as in its records pertaining to members and, in particular, in the register of members so that one of the joint owners merely because of the nomination in her favour cannot transfer either the share, in which she has a part interest, or the allotment, where also she has a part interest, for the same is expressly declared to be transferable and, accordingly, can only be transferred by express consent of all the heirs.

For more information about Disputes and Differences in Co-operative Housing Societies you can read my post here:

For registration of a Co-operative housing society, FORM I for the registration of a Co-operative Society with limited liability under Rule 9 (1) has to be submitted to the Registrar of Co-operative societies in the following format.



The Registrar of Co-operative Societies,

 Dated …………. 20….


We, the undersigned, agree to the enclosed by-laws and under section 16 of the West Bengal Co-operative Societies Act, 2006 (West Ben. Act XL of 2006) apply to be registered as a co-operative society with limited liability under the title of …………………………….……. the registered office being at ……….…………………… Post Office ……………….……………. Thana ……………………….. Town/Panchayat ……..………..…………………………………… Sub-division ……………………..…………….. District ………………………………………..

Thereafter provide the Name of Applicant for Registration, Father’s Name, Occupation, Age, Permanent Address, Present Address, Whether member any other society and Signature or L.T.I. of applicant

In PART-II of the Application provide:

1. Name of the proposed society ………………………………………………………………………

2. Nature of liability of members …………………………………………………………………

3. On share basis or without shares …………………………………………………………………

4. Number of applicants …………………………………………………………………………….

(a) Individual :

(b) Co-operative Societies :

5. Names of the members of the first board (constituted under section 16(2) (c) of the Act.

(1) …………………………………………………………….. Chairman

(2) …………………………………………………………….. Vice-Chairman

(3) ……………………………………………………………..

(4) ……………………………………………………………..

(5) ……………………………………………………………..

(6) ……………………………………………………………..

6. Names and address of the person (Chief Promoter in the case of a housing co-operative society) to whom communications, if any, are to be addressed till registration of the society


7. Certified that each of the applicants belongs to a different family as required under section 16(3) of the Act.

Signatures of three applicants authorized by the promoters to sign and certify on their behalf

(1) ………………………………..

(2) ………………………………..

(3) ………………………………..

Date: …………………………

 Registration Procedure For Co-0perative Housing Society

Step -1:-Purchase 3 copies of Application Form (Form No-1) and three copies of Bye laws.

from either West Bengal State cooperative union, 23 A, Netaji Subhas Road, 7 th Floor,  Kolkata-7000001

or from Office of the District Cooperative Union of all Districts.

Step- 2:- Obtain confirmation / approval of the proposed cooperative society from the office of the concerned Registering Authority.

Step-3:- a. Fill up the Application Form and the bye laws in triplicate.

b. Get them signed by all the intending and eligible members.
c. Get the signatures attested by the Chief Promoter (both for the application form and bye laws).

Step-4:-Enclosed the list of following documents along with the Application Form.

  1. 3 copies of the bye laws duly filled in along with the resolution adopted by the promoter members and also in keeping with the relevant provisions of the West Bengal Cooperative Societies Act and Rules.
  2. Photocopy of plot allotment letter issued by the appropriate authority /
  3. 2 passport size photographs of all the intending applicant members signing the application form and the bye laws including the Chief Promoter.
  4. (a) Either latest Salary Certificate or copy of Form 16 reflecting  deductions

Professional Tax and duly signed by the Head of the Office or D.D.O.
(b) other professionals should have to submit the Professionals Tax
Registration Certificate or Professional tax Enrolment Certificate as the case
may be.
(c) Govt. Pensioner should have to submit copy of latest I.T.R and copy of
pension payment order.
5. Declaration in the form of affidavit before a Magistrate or a Notary Public as per
model proforma.
6.    Copy of the resolutions of all the Promoters’ meetings.
    7. Copy of Application for nomination submitted by the each applicants.(enclo C)

8. Declaration of the Chief Promoter addressed to the Registering Authority as detailed under:-

a) I have not acted as Chief Promoter or acting as Chief Promoter in any other Cooperative Housing Society other than the proposed society.
b) It is the sole housing project sponsored by the proposed society.
c) I have obtained the affidavits, nomination, photographs in duplicate, salary certificate / copy of F-16 / P. Tax Registration Certificate / P. Tax Enrolment Certificate.
d) I will furnish all other related document or information considering the nature/ type of cooperative housing society as and when called by the Registering Authority.

9. Statement of up to date accounts (receipts & payments) indicating the period of accounts.

10.    Any other document depending upon the project and nature of the society.

All the above documents excepting the affidavits should be attested by the C.P.
The Chief Promoter’s photograph should be attested either by M.P / M.LA / Local Municipal Commissioner / Prodhan of G.P /Group a Officer of Central / State Govt.

775 replies on “Co-operative Housing Society Rules West Bengal”

My friend purchased a flat from a co-operative society in Kosba area in 2003 when he was already, owning a 3 storied building on a plot of land at Salt Lake jointly, along with his three brothers since 1998/99. While purchasing the flat he gathered that the jurisdiction of the building at Salt Lake and flat at Kosba being under two different Municipalities, (one is Bidhannagar Municipality & other is Kolkata Municipality), he was eligible to have a co-operative flat at Kosba as well, especially when no portion of the building at Salt Lake could be sold by any of the brothers. He did not consult any professional person like you before purchasing.
However, if he was right, under the same logic can I purchase a co-operative flat at Salt Lake though I am an owner of a co-operative flat at Beliaghata.

Dear Sir,

There is a NKDA under construction BULK Co-operative(32 members) society in NEW TOWN action area 1.

i (Md.Salahuddin) had a flat in it which i took membership in 2011 i.e i am not a founder member.

Once I came to know that in the same soiety at 3rd floor road side flat is on sale.

I contacted to BOD to purchase it and will sell my existing unit.
Initially BOD of the co-operative were not in favor of me for the new purchase.

But with the condition that i have to pay 50% of the total profit from my sale.
After this 50% of my profit share, BOD asked 1.5lacs more bcos they used to takethis 1.5lacs from a new incoming member.

I agreed to pay and paid then in two different cheques in favor of society bcos without it they were not agreeing to accept my application.

Now as BOD agreed I had sold my flat in the month of August/Sept 2016.And applied to get joint membership(with mywife ) to society.

My transfer yet not completed.They are asking more time to complete.

Asper West Bengal Society act amendment,No society can ask these kind of charges.Kindly guide the pros and cons , if we will take legal action against the society.

NOTE: Kindly consider that i want to be a member of this society i.e i dont want to loose my membership in legal battle.


Hi Santanu here our society is in New town society has decided one contractor to develop the building wanted to know is there any service tax payable to the builder for that purpose? Is there any exemption from service tax for cooperative housing societies?Once more how much will be registration cost and what are the factors?
Thank you

If the loaner person will die during service period and his family were totaly dependent on this dieying person… then who paid the installment or its reliefable matter

Good Afternoon ! A flat has come up for transfer of shares in our building Embassy Cooperative Housing Society ltd, situated at 4 Shakespeare Sarani, kolkata 700071. The person who has applied for transfer has submitted declaration that he has does not own any property elsewhere in the municipal are of Kolkata. he also has submitted copy of purchase sale agreement in between himself and the seller. However, his flat is not registered, i.e. there is no conveyance as yet towards his flat.

Sir, it will be apprecaited if you could advise if the managing committee can transfer share certificates in his favour in the absence of conveyance, with all other formailties and necessities being duly met with.

My mail id :

Thanking You
Anil Vanjani’

Hello Mr. Vanjani,
You can transfer the share based on certain documents that you should seek from the parties. There are few steps that must be followed before transfer of share. However, you do not need the registered conveyance deed upfront. You need a declaration from the transferee that the certified copy of the registered sale deed will be submitted to the society within a given time frame. You can email me to for further guidance in this matter. Thank you.

Thank You for your reply Mr. Ceil.
It would be of great help, if you could please let me know as to what is the maximum period of allowance that we can give towards the time frame in which the transferee would need to submit a copy of the registered deed.

Thanking you
Anil Vanjanii

In Continuation to my earlier query, it will be appreciated if you could please enlighten that what are the measures/steps that we need to take or can take if the transferee doe not submit copy of registered deed even within the specified time frame.

Thanking You
Anil Vanjani

Good evening. as per Rule 93(7) of the W.B.C.S. Act 2006, Housing Co-operative Society may charge tenancy charge @ 10% of the monthly reserved rent from the tenant on letting – out of a Flat by any registered member of the housing society under tenancy. I would like to have a proper understanding of the matter.
Your kind views upon the matter is highly solicited.
Manoj Roy

I am a member of cooperative housing society in Action Area – I, New Town, Kolkata which is a free hold land. Kindly clarify me the following –

1) Can I apply for a second cooperative membership for a new plot, leasehold bais, in Action Area – II, New Town, Kolkata ?

2) If answer to 1 is NO, then can my mother, a govt. pensioner, apply as a cooperative member and nominate me the ownership of the plot/flat, in her absence ?



In a society registered under West Bengal Apartment ownership act 1972 how can a apartment owner –
1. Call for a General Body meeting of the association?
2. Process to inspect the book of accounts and other materials?

Uttam Biswas

In the year 2008 I was inducted for membership of a coop housing society at NKDA, Rajarhat in accordance with the existing rules. The coop society was formed in 2003. The transfer of name, replacing a member, was duly approved by the Dy Reg of Coop society, Govt of WB in 2010. Construction of dwelling units started in 2013 and completed in 2016 and all the members contributed equally for completion of the building. what will be the registration fees for the individual flats and will there be any difference in registration fees payable by me and other members.

I had to pay our Co-operative society more than 60,000/- for induction into membership of the society after purchasing the flat.
Later the auditor also raised the issue saying it to be irregular and unlawful practice.
Pl let me know what is the law ? And if can I recover the money?

Dear Mr. Cinoy, how do I know that whether jadavpur cooperative land and housing society ltd have still now existing or not , if exist then who is the present chairman, what is his present address and name.

Whether any occupant/ allottee can object for erection of lift in existing building Housing cooperative Societies in West Bengal. Whether objection sustainable when flats are allotted by Housing Society to the allotteedd

Hello Mr. Ghose, it depends on the members of the Society and majority voting in favor of either. An allottee can definitely object even if the flats are allotted by the Housing Society.

Dear Sir,
My aunt is a member of a Housing Cooperative Society in Panagarh,West Bengal.She wants to dispose her property(land & house). I am aware of Cooperation Dept. Order no. 2522 dt.23.6.2003 and the update of 2015 in this regard.Even then, my query is : Is the land mine (i.e. my aunt’s) & can the Society demand any money as cost of land ( or on any pretext ) from buyer/seller during the disposal / transfer of the Property to an otherwise eligible person(would be member).What are the Acts / Section of Co-Op. laws I can cite in my support during an arbitration.Is there any other avenue whereby the Co-Op. Society can demand any money during the transaction / transfer.How do I prepare myself for an arbitration & would request for a contact help-line number.
I shall anxiously look forward to your mail as the matter is most urgent.
Thanking you in anticipation.
Yours faithfully

Loan from Banks for Cooperative Society member,Do the Banks need Society Bank Details etc etc and also PAN Card of the Society.
I hv been insisting that the loan is in an individual capacity and all documents pertaining the member has been given incuding NOC from Society for taking loan including tripartite agreement with member society and bank.But now they want copy of Society bank account copy,cancelled cheque and PAN card copy of Society and Director Resolution for signature by Secretary.Though I told them no resolution is there but the Bye Laws clarifies the duties of Secy,Treasurer, Charmian etc.I am not able to understand.
1.Pl clarify PAN card of Society is not there is it needed or mandatory.
2.Has there to be any separate Board resolution giving sanction for signatures by Respective office bearers.
3,Is the Bank in their right to ask for Bank details of the Society.
Member has not Registered his flat as yet,building is ready for last two years and the Flats are on Rent.He has His Original Share certificate with him.

Is voluntary winding up of a Registered cooperative is allowed? If so, what is the procedure to be followed? Again, if not allowed, what is to be done for dissolving the society?

Is voluntary winding up of a Registered cooperative House Building Society is allowed? If so, what is the procedure to be followed? Again, if not allowed, what is to be done for dissolving the society?

is individual registration of cooperative plots of land n house allowed? If so, what are the procedures to be followed? If not , what can be done for voluntary winding up/dissolution of the housing cooperative?Pl help us taking a decision in the matter.

sir, i am living in cooperative soceity in PATULI UNDER KMC. i want to know if it is mandatory for cooerative soceity to obtain kmc assessee no as all flat owners are paying individual tax.We have assessee no if it is not mandatory then can u suggest ways to discontinue same.

Hi Sir,

I am living in a society which asks for 1% as capitation fee(which now is illegal ,i think as per supreme court) on sale of my flat in future and half months’ rent on renting out a flat. I have lived for many years in kolkata but never heard of these rules. Now,they enforce me to bind by these rules. Though I am paying EMI for my personal property. Can any rule be made on my personal property in west bengal. The housing complex was made after 2011.So,Please tell me according to recent rules of west bengal how can i save my property from looting. Tomorrow if they made such more rules.What can i do legally and how can i fight against these forceful atrocities. Please help.

As majority are government employees or retired persons residing in the complex and member of the board executive,and present in the meeting.So,they unanimously forms the majority and decides everything before the meeting. And threaten us by saying this rule is formed by majority of the members present in the meeting. I think that i have complete rights of protecting my personal property when such type of rules are formed (giving 1% on sale and half months’ rent for NOC for renting out a flat) whether i am in minority.
Please suggest me all steps legally to fight against these goons.


Can a minor become a member of a coopertaive society? Can he (minor) acquire ownership or title of the property by virtue of his nomination?

Hello Mr Chenoy, My husband is a member of a coopereative housing society in New Town, Action area 1, Kolkata. We are second buyer. The secretary and the board of the society is creating lots of problem. we are NRI. So it is very difficult for us to maintain the appartment. The secretary is also not giving us the documents for registration of the flat, allotment letter etc.. can we sell the appartment with out registering it ? And can you please advise us about the procedure of selling the flat ?
Sanjukta Banerjee

We three sisters are only heiresses of my deceased mother,allotte of a cooperative LIG flat in Salt Lake.My youngest sister was the the nominee as per rule of one nominee the society.After my mother’s death,MY YOUNGEST SISTER BECAME THE SHARE HOLDER. But the flat remain vacant long before my mother’s death as she remained in coma for last few years. After my retirement I cam to Kolkata and began to stay in the flat from 2011 and was paying maintenance charge at the same rate with other allottees. But in this year the co-operative is not accepting the normal maintenance charge of Rs.4500/- instead wanting Rs 18000/-per year (as for tenants of some flats) and 2% interest per month as penalty per for defaulting.
MY YOUNGEST SISTER requested in writing to the secretary of the society to consider our case as I am not a tenanat rather I am an heiress of the flat and to offer natural justice but all invain. Now, I want to know whether I can get relief in the matter or not in the eye of co operative laws.

I am a tenant in a co op. for the last 8 years. I park my car in the open parking area against a fee as charged by the co op. The co op suddenly now is not allowing my car to be parked , as I am a tenant, even at the cost of the respective charges.Can the society effect such action. How can I park my car as is done on date. Regards Biswas.

Hi Arghya, was there any resolution passed by the society to disallow tenants from parking cars. Since you are a tenant of the landlord, see what rules apply to the landlord. Also any new rules has to be approved by majority members. Email me to if you need further help.

I am a resident of Embassy Co-operative Housing Society Ltd., sitauted at 4 Shakespeare Sarani, Kolkata 700071. The managing committee of our society took charge in the month of December 2014. As per the law of Co-operative societys act, Please advise whether the tenure of the current maaging committee is valid for a term of three years or a term of five years.
anil vanjani


My uncle transferred his flat which is under co-operative housing society, in NewTown, Kolkata, to my mother. Now we want to do the registration, but we have been told that my mother will not get any waiver for the registration which other members of the society are getting as she is not direct member of the society. Is there any such rule? And is there any concession for the widow as my father passed away.

I want to resign from the post of Chairman of a housing co-operative society-what is the procedure please?

Whether two/three brothers can be admitted as joint member of a Housing Co-op. after demise of their father (the lessee of the Plot of a Housing Co-op.) under W.B. Co-op. Societies Act & Rules ?

Whether for transfer of flat in a housing cooperative the permission of Register is necessary?

Dear Mr.Chenoy,
I would be interested to know , what are the documents needed to register my residential flat in an eight member registered cooperative building with C.C, at New Town rajarhat action plan I under HIDCO.

Hi Chenoy,
I am a member of AWHO ,Bhaskar Roy enclave located at VIP Road,opposite Haldiram, Tegharia, Kolkata. I am experiencing huge problems due to leakage/seepage from the Toilet of the upper Flat. The owner of the upper flat is non cooperative even if I want repair at my own cost.
In Delhi, the owner of source of leakage is suppose to do the repair.
Could you advise me the rule position as per WB Govt act/rule?
Thanks and regards,
Col Harsha Ranjan Surray

I want to sell a flat which is registered under a West Bengal cooperative society. The society has given me consent to sell/ transfer the flat to a buyer after he submitted Form 28 & 28A and all personal details along with our Agreement for sale. Do I have to now tender my resignation from the membership of the society before the sale deed registration? Do I have to surrender all my originals documents of Share certificate, my earlier Sale Deed, Allotment letter, Permissive Possession letter, Agreement for Sale, etc before registration of the sale deed ? Can the Sale process ( i.e, payment of the Sale price by the buyer) and registration can be done prior to my resignation and surrendering all original property documents. I need to sell the flat urgently for payment of medical bills of my husband who is critically ill.

I am elected director in my co-operative society. Due to my work I have to travel outside country for 2/3 years. May I resign? Do I need to wait for acceptance of my resignation before travel? Is there any law which may prevent me to travel outside India?

May I request an advise on my query please. The endorsement that my comments is awaiting moderation.I have not understood Who is to moderate it?

Hi Sir,

I am in talks with a member of one cooperative society in New Town to purchase his share. Construction of the building is complete and society has already applied to the municipal corporation for issuing completion certificate. However, I have two concerns – 1. flat is an MIG one and my current income has crossed 80000. 2. I own a flat in a residential apartment purchased from a builder in Narayanpur. Will be of great help if you could clarify about my eligibility for buying the mig flat.

From Goutam , Sir I purchased a flat under cooperative societies through registered deed from an owner of the societies without the permission of the cooperative societies.. The land of the societies was allotted by Kolkata Improvement Trust.Latter the cooperative society accepted me as a owner for such transaction by resolution in the Annual G.B.and accepted Rs Two lakh for development charges through cheque. Now, for mutation, the society is not handing over me share certificate and telling me Kolkata Improvement Trust shall not allow such mutation. Kindly suggest the ways so that the mutation can be done.

From which date the Cooperative Election Commission is conducting election to a eight member housing cooperative society . If the Society unanimously has already elected on its own a BOD in 2014 without requesting CEC for holding the election , will the BOD be illegal and all its actions illegal ? What will happen to payments made by the Secretary and Treasurer chosen by such a BOD ?

We are pensioner. We have a own flats in south kolkata. Our questions ,we are buy it another cooperative housing society flats in North Kolkata? Please reply .

Who is authorized to issue share certificates ? Can a legal heir of the original member become a meber of the Housing Society ?

My parents are joint members in our housing cooperative society in Durgapur, West Bengal. We two brothers are nominee. Recently my mother had expired. My father’s age is Above 90 yes. Now question who will be entitled to be a joint member with my father ? I am married and elder son. Can I be automatically chosen as a joint member or else. After my father’s death who will be joint member?

Dear Mr. Chenoy,
I have a co-op flat in New Town and plan to give it on rent. Do I need permission from the Society or am I only expected to inform them? Is there any monetary benefit that I have to share with the society in terms of extra maintenance payment or anything else?
Kindly help. Thanks.

May i know if a minor can be a member/shareholder of a cooperative housing society (West Bengal) under his natural guardian.

Can a minor become member/shareholder of west Bengal cooperative housing society under his natural guardian.

What is the tenure of directors of a housing society in west Bengal. Can a member file nomination for consecutive two or three terms?


i am a resident of a co-oprative society housing complex in South Kolkata. we hold membership there in the society. My questions are
1. can a purchase a second flat there in the same society?
2. if yes, then under whose name will the second flats membership go?
3. since I am working, can i purchase the flat on my name, even if the first flat is in both of our names?

kindly answer

Hello Sir,

We have two flats in a co-operative society at jadavpur, my mother in law is the owner of one flat of which my husband is the nominee, the other flat is in the name of my husband. 8 years ago my husband’s maternal uncle bought a flat in the same society and now he wants to transfer it in my or my husband’s name. Can it be transferred to any two of us? if yes what is the correct way? Is there any rule that if a person is member of a co-operative society his/her spouse cannot be admitted as a member? In case it gets transferred to any of us will there be any problem with ownership of the flat of which my husband is nominee. please help. Also will be grateful if you share your contact details.

[…] Transferring property in cooperative housing societies can be a daunting task, especially, since most Societies ask for innumerable documents and delay approval. Further, some societies also seek exorbitant amount in transfer money. If you need to know the law behind housing societies in West Bengal, check this post here: […]

I need to know one information on selecting secretary for housing Society in Kolkata. The society registration process is in progress. My Wife is now the Secretary of the society. The flat is registered in my name. So is there any way so that she can continue the post after registration?

Her name entry in deed will be costly for me at this moment. So please let me know the way so that she can continue the post.

I will be grateful to you if you kindly let me know the information as soon as possible.

Leave a Reply